Event and Food Services Coordinator
Position: Event and Food Services Coordinator
Job Location: Men's Division
- The Event and Food Services Coordinator position is designed to manage and oversee the food service operations and train volunteer and clients in the proper
use of commercial kitchen equipment according to manufacturer and DRM policies and procedures. The Event and Food Services Coordinator develops and maintains high standards of food preparation, sanitary and safety, and service with emphasis on menu appeal and nutritional value.
- Under the general supervision of the Operations Director.
- Full-time (40+)
- Maintain budgets for each event.
- Work with community leaders, volunteers and outside groups to promote events.
- Coordinate with other departments for events when needed:
- Work with the facility staff person to make sure needed rooms are available and reserved.
- Work with the Volunteer Department to use volunteers where needed and reach out to inactive volunteers if at all possible.
- Notify the IT Department if audio/visual equipment will be used.
- Notify the Development Department of unique situations and events so that media releases can be created.
- Coordinate all needs of the physical space:
- Work ahead to ensure the area is clean and prepared for each event and that each area is cleaned and reset after each event.
- Provide room layouts to all parties involved in set-up and teardown.
- Coordinate with local businesses if items need to be rented or purchased.
- Coordinate and prepare décor for each event (i.e. table clothes, paper products, centerpieces etc.).
- Coordinate food for events requiring such:
- Work with kitchen supervisors to create a menu and distribute it to necessary parties.
- Oversee the purchasing of food items with the kitchen supervisors.
- Coordinate facility use by outside parties (i.e. Durham PD, etc.)
- Confirm needed speakers for events and troubleshoot if there is a cancellation or change and ensure stipends are distributed if appropriate.
- Provide all needed parties with an order of events where appropriate.
- Track and communicate expected guest for each event.
- Assign coverage for the media room when appropriate for an event.
- Coordinate with the volunteer department to assign clients to jobs during large events.
- Communicate with all cooks needed for large events, (DRM and non-DRM).
- Maintain proper counts for large events:
- Communicate what media attended and when.
- Track and communicate beginning and ending numbers for food, volunteers, salvations, toys, baskets, etc.
- Prepare and communicate a post-event recap for large events.
Food Services Coordinator:
- Provide training and orientation of Kitchen Managers at each facility
- Ensure that kitchen and dining rooms maintain high standards of cleaning, sanitation and safety.
- Supervise the training of volunteers and clients in safety and proper food handling preparation.
- Ensure that the Standard Operating Procedures of Food Services Operations is being followed.
- Ensure volunteer and client support follow established food preparation, serving programs, and procedures.
- Solicit and procure food donations.
- Ensure that we are in compliance with Harvest Food Support in documenting donation amounts from partner agencies.
- Ensure that we are in compliance with all rules and regulations of the Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC.
- Work with the Purchasing Agent to order needed supplies and food items while maintaining a budget.
- Ensures appropriate food inventory and rotation.
- Responsible for coordination of program clients engaged in vocational training in food services with community college culinary school program.
- Minimize loss and waste of food resources and prevention of fraud.
- Conduct tours as needed.
- Handle telephone calls and email inquiries concerning special events, food donations and arranging pick-ups with Transportation Specialist.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly on their feet, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to communicate verbally and deliver/respond to verbal instructions.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Be able to work on computer occasionally.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to hold a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
- Multi-tasking oriented skills.
- Skills to safely and efficiently operate and instruct relevant volunteer/client/staff support in all equipment and machines used in the performance of food srvice area which include but are not limited to: commercial size stove, oven, dishwasher, steamer, coffee machine, mixer, chef knives, brazing unit, fryers, walk-in refrigerator/freezer, grills, and other standard kitchen equipment.
- Reasoning ability – ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Excellent communication.
Training and Experience:
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- Prefer a minimum of 2 to 4 years’ experience in food service
- Current ServSafe certification – food safety certification from the National Restaurant Association.
- Ability to supervise people with widely varied backgrounds and ability to supervise/train other food service staff, volunteers and clients/guests.
- Has basic computer skills in email, Microsoft Word, and Excel.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge will be considered. Typical qualifications:
- All employees of the Durham Rescue Mission must be practicing their Christianity by being an active member of a conservative, evangelical church.
- Must exhibit and exemplify a good testimony and personal integrity.
- Employees must also have an exemplar testimony both before the church and the world.
- Must sign and be in agreement with Durham Rescue Mission Statement of Faith.
- Must be able to generate enthusiasm with current and prospective donors.
- Must be able to effectively supervise and manage subordinate staff.
- Must be able to motivate groups and individuals to high levels of participation.
- Excellent administrative skills.
Submitting Your Application:
Once you have downloaded and filled out the PDF application above, upload and submit your completed application, cover letter, and résumé using the form below.